Monday 9 January 2017

Blizzards and Russians

So it's been a pretty busy and crazy week! Definitely pushed out my comfort zone even more. A couple of crazy stories. First is a story of us being caught in a crazy blizzard. The weather has been really cold here this week. And almost always snowing or raining. I don't know maybe I'm being a wimp compared to Calgary or Ukraine but it has definitely been freezing at times. Especially my feet and legs even when I'm wearing two pairs of socks and two leggings. Lol oh well. 

The next story is co-written by Sister Novotny (the driver) and me.

So one rainy Wednesday, we were out contacting in the bitter cold. No one was home so we went over to the bishops house across the street. When we left around 8:45 the rain was replaced with so much snow. We were surprised. This was out in Morgan so we had a long drive home. We were driving, I could not see a thing. We were in the middle of a blizzard. I was just praying that we could see the road and there are a LOT of deer in Morgan so I didn't want one to jump out in front of us. But I think the deer were smart and decided to stay hidden in the blizzard. And then I missed the exit. The only exit before the canyon of doom- We dared not drive through the canyon in that weather. There's only one exit to take to get to our house. So what would 20 and 19 year old girls do? We were backing up (don't worry she had a backer-- ME:) I was running along side the car making sure no one was coming lol it actually looked pretty funny )and that worked really well until we saw cars coming. So I pulled over and this lady pulls up behind us. And then a semi behind her. Apparently the lady missed her exit also. And the truck was going to take 20 minutes. So we didn't want to be disobedient and get home late so.. we jumped the side of the road to the exit. Good thing President gave us a 4 wheel drive car. That was inspired. Because we made it! We were still freezing cold and the snow was crazy ( I eventually just took my glasses off cause I couldn't see and I kept smearing my mascara all over my face aha).  We then went to go help the lady behind us. But we were dumb in the moment and told her that her small car could probably jump it also. Unfortunately, she didn't make it. So we tried our hardest to get her out (we were very sore after) and then we prayed and decided to take her home. 

Then another crazy thing that happened was that I taught a lesson in Russian!! Yup. So what happened was an elder called us on  Friday saying that they had a man in their area that was interested in learning more about our church but could mostly only speak Russian. Then yesterday they told us last minute that we would have a lesson a couple hours later with him. So I felt super scared and unprepared but we went and I managed to teach him the restoration, pretty briefly, with the help of the member who he lives with who speaks just a bit more English. That was nice because I could seriously not understand like anything he said, he spoke SO FAST. definitely a very interesting and different lesson with the elders there too and like two ish translators.. And even though I do get an hour a day of study.. I am so rusty and was never that good to start with so I was a little down on how it went. But over all it must of been ok because he still wants to learn more so we have another lesson today (again not any time to prepare 😑) and my companions were super supportive and said it went really well! I need to work on believing more in  myself and in my Heavenly Father. I admit that I could be way better at having faith because I know that if there is faith there is no fear but I've definitely learned more about relying on the Lord this week. And I do know that he will always pull us through. I am hopeful that this is the reason that I'm here. 😊

Anyway I hope everyone is doing well! Love you all! 

- Cectpa Horne


Pictures from my window.



No comments:

Post a Comment